September 3rd, 2020 Meeting Minutes
Notes taken by Taylor in vim
18 people in attendance or so: Zurek, Tank21, Kahrl, Taco, drewr, john_constantine, CPG , Lenny Lin, Alu, spacedog, Alex Maldonado, Kessler, aron lawrence, Strongth, girrockss, Sphinx, taylor, Lucky backbutton, and hammer
6:00 PM, On a Thursday, on google meet
- introduction of any new members
- one new member: hammer
- for now, all meetings will be online
- investigating a different platform than google meet to enable an "online club room" that people can just drop in to
- google meet doesn't allow this functionality
- jitsi looks like a good alternative and is self-hosted
- also complies with the accessibility standards set by the university
just need web browser to join meetings
access to club room fairly limited
kohrman is technically open mon-thurs 7:00am-9:30pm
still, please talk to an officer if you want to physically be there, there are limits to the amount of people that can be in a room
plan is to disinfect about once a month or so, but still clean up after yourself
girrockss picked up disinfectant and will be out for people to disinfect the areas you interacted with
requirements for using the club room:
- ask an officer first
- wear a mask if there is someone else in the room
- disinfect whatever you touch
- distance- this means multiple people can't use a single part of the club room at once (elect. workbench etc)
- career talk by Kevin khaw
- former highering manager at google
- "an inside look into hiring at google"
- either Sept 24 or Oct 1
thanks, alu for organizing this!
game jam soon (1-2 weeks from now probably)
still 48 hours but you don't have to do it in single weekend and get a week overall
no prize probably
stricter judging (only club members or people that made games can judge)
Alu thought it would be cool for 2 game jams
high interest in (online) game nights
no plans yet
high emphasis on member talks this year
some incentive maybe?
badge on riot maybe???
$10 snack credit if in person???
pins and stickers???
to claim a spot just edit the spreadsheet, link is in the topic of officers
no official dinners but maybe some unofficial sneaky ones
lots of members miss dinners
we got takeout and when to someones backyard over summar
still have midterms and finals study parties somehow
open to suggestions!
still trying to keep club live and active
- waive $10 yearly fee for new members?
- this is not much of income flow for club
- this is a good idea
- new members only
- we voted to wave the fee for new members
- msp430 funding pipeline potentially broken
- cs2230 not using msp430 kits because of the online classes
- this could come back
- not as bad of a situation as we thought
Vague, Large, and maybe too Ambitious plans for this semester
- door bot 2.0
- we have approval
- has to be invisible from outside
- use chat to open the door
- girrockss showed interest in leading this project
- constitution revision
- need to clarify some gray areas
- pview demo station (yes, we're still doing that!)
- got large amount of money from cs department to build a demo station for tours and to build interest in the cS department
- got 3 new gaming computers
- still on the hook for the station
- bought almost all components but the VR
- we must go update some records at PNC
- john_constantine will schedule
- launch small satellite into orbit
- cool project
- to learn more, please talk to john_constantine and Kahrl
- they need more people!
- you can get GitHub pack, O'Reilly textbooks, and many others by just using your WMU email.